I'm posting this not to continue on my recent junk food posting trends (referring to my last post about my friend's Apple Crisp recipe I'm obsessed with) but because I've actually had several friends recently ask me to share this recipe for these cookies! Will anyone back me up in saying that chocolate chip cookies sometimes are impossible to make? About a year ago I was at my sister in-law's house for Sunday dinner. Let's just say that I fell in love with (is that weird to fall in love with cookies?) her cookies! This is a Tuttle family recipe that has literally taken me almost a year to get down. I don't think I could have ever mastered these had I not married the world's biggest cookie connoisseur. He has even jokingly tossed around the idea of a patent for a cookie jar alarm that notifies me when the cookies pass below a certain point and that it's time for me to make another batch.
Below are my top 5 tips for making the best chocolate chip cookies. Keep in mind that I have made this very recipe almost every week for the last year, in attempts to master it.
1. The softened butter part is crucial my friends. I've learned that if you let the butter get too melted your cookies will not turn out. About 30 seconds should do the trick--you want it somewhat still in it's square shape but just barely melting through the bottom.
2. Actually separate your flours, soda and salt, from your butter, vanilla, sugars and eggs. I know this sounds basic, but I used to just be lazy and mix them "sort of separately," just in one bowl. After making them hundreds of times and failing, I've learned that this simple change makes all the difference. You HAVE to mix them in two different bowls, then combine them.
'
3. When it's time to bake, do not put both batches in at the same time (at least not on different racks). This also is a simple rule that makes a WORLD of a difference. For some reason the heat just doesn't distribute evenly when you stack your two batches, so just do them one at a time.
4. A little extra...Add a tiny bit of extra salt. This recipe calls for 1/4 tsp.--so, put in closer to 1/2 tsp. A friend at work told me that a few years ago and it has proven to be a great secret! Also, add about 1/2 cup extra of your chocolate chips. This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups and I always just throw in a whole bag (which equates to about 2 cups).
5. When your cookies are done baking, let them cool on the cookie sheet for no longer than 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, transfer to a wire cooking rack. If you leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for too long, the cookies will continue to cook (and potentially bake) and you'll have a cookie with a burnt bottom.
Ingredients:
8 oz. softened butter
1 1/6 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbs. vanilla (we use Mexican vanilla & it's all
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. Chocolate chips
(we love milk chocolate chips, but it's honestly just personal preference)
Directions:
1. Turn oven to 350
2. Combine until smooth (with a beater) softened butter, eggs, vanilla and sugars.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Combine both bows with your beaters.
6. Add chocolate chips and place on cookie sheets.
7. Throw those bad boys in the oven for 7-10 minutes (monitor).
8. Take out and let cool for about 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool.
How did yours turn out?? Share any tips you have in the comments!
2. Combine until smooth (with a beater) softened butter, eggs, vanilla and sugars.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Combine both bows with your beaters.
6. Add chocolate chips and place on cookie sheets.
7. Throw those bad boys in the oven for 7-10 minutes (monitor).
8. Take out and let cool for about 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool.
How did yours turn out?? Share any tips you have in the comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment