Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tuttle Shuttle : 2015 Summer Re-Cap


SEATTLE- May 2015 

Rarely is there a logical reason to drive 13+ hours for less than 48 hours out of the car before getting right back in. Our motivation derived from friends and family & the desire to make memories that we'll treasure for the rest of our lives. Alicia (current CPA) tutored me in my Accounting class almost 9 years ago and became like a sister as we lived together for several years. Her beautiful wedding in the Seattle Washington LDS Temple (see below) was nothing short of stunning. Alicia met Ian shortly before he left on his two year mission for the LDS church.  They wrote letters for two years and were engaged a few months after he returned from mission in Denver. I love when my friends choose incredible people to marry and I don't have to worry about them!
I love weddings. They are a sweet reminder of the precious covenant we make to each other and God, to love each other forever. 
Seattle, WA. LDS Temple

The Pacific North West did not disappoint. The drive was breath-taking and we effortlessly fell in love with Seattle. We had a single afternoon to explore the city and felt that it will be a memory we treasure! If you find yourself in Seattle, here are a few of my favorite things: 

Pikes Market-Get a bag of the Apple Chips from Simply the Best. (They are Oprah's faves #cred.)

Gum Wall- Great pictures & unlike anything you've probably ever seen

Pike's Flowers- Oh my goodness, please grab some fresh flowers! We picked up some gorgeous pink peonies for our host and I think I loved them more than they did!

Space Needle- A friend of ours who is a Seattle local, gave us some wedding money and told us to go to the Space Needle! Of course. we loved it  **Note: if you're there on a Sunday, the lines are insane. Plan for a wait, or pay extra to get the "Fast Pass" 

Lowell's-If you have some time, head to Lowell's for breakfast or brunch. Lowell’s actually has three floors of seating, all of which have amazing views of the Mountains, the ferries crossing Puget Sound and a great view of the Port of Seattle.


PORTLAND- May 2015 

The second part of our trip was a quick stop in Portland to see my brother Brock & his family. We were anxious to take on Voodoo donuts and all of Portland's "weirdness" as we ventured South. Side note: Mark and I have started a tradition that whenever we go on a trip we frequent a local doughnut shop. In the name of tradition, I took Mark to voodoo donuts (classic) in Portland/. The conclusion was: there is nowhere that compares to Southern California Donuts--except maybe Bob's Donuts on Polk Street in San Francisco... (and yes, Mark owns a Bob's Donuts t-shirt that you will frequently find him sporting with pride)

We had a great time catching up with the Miller crew! We went on several hikes along the Historic Columbia River Highway and couldn't get enough of the luscious green trees. Sometimes when I'm in Portland I even tease myself that I would be fine without the mountains... I tease myself that I would be fine without the sun...Coming from Denver and then spending the last few years in UT., it only takes a few seconds after returning that I remember how blessed I am to live next to the Rocky Mountains.

Anyway, we loved our time there and are so grateful they are always so welcoming for our spontaneous trips! It's no lie that I am blessed to have such a great family.

Great times at Pittock Mansion . This place is gorgeous and overlooks the Portland skyline

SAN DIEGO- June 2015 

our happy place is a day at Oceanside Beach
How can we forget our frequent yet beloved, trips to Southern California? June was good to us. Any excuse to take us out to the West Coast is a no brainer. This trip was for for Mark's little brother Brian's wedding. Another sweet love story ensues... Brian and Myunghee met a few years ago at BYU. Brian's wife (girlfriend at the time) went on to serve an LDS Mission in Hawaii. After 18 months of her serving in HI., she returned home and they got engaged. We loved being part of their wedding in the breathtaking San Diego LDS Temple. Again, it was a privilege to witness their sweet day. So much respect for those two! Their love will last.  
We also had a surprise Anniversary celebration for Mark's parents, who have now been married for 40 years! So cool to have a myriad of examples of love and commitment around us
Mark's Mom Barb & some of the Tuttle flower girls

FLAGSTAFF AZ.- July 2015 

We had an incredible trip to Arizona for a quick family reunion with Mark's fam. I am very blessed to have such amazing people that I now get to call family. Below is Grandma and Grandpa Wren. They have been so generous to me in only the short time that I have known them. Just to give you an idea of their character--when Mark arrived to his LDS Mission in Chile, he had 3 letters from his Grandma waiting for him when he arrived. If that doesn't inspire you to give and love, I'm not sure what would?   
#monark
We went on a gorgeous hike at a place called Walnut Canyon. There were some awesome curved canyon walls where you could literally see and touch the homes of ancient inhabitants of Walnut Canyon. We went on a hike along the Rim Trails where you could visit actual pueblos and walk in the steps of those who came before. Very cool. We stayed in adorable little cabins at a place in Flagstaff called Fort Tuthill. (Coincidence? I think not..). During our entire stay, there was only one giant cockroach in our cabin! Mark was smart and didn't tell me about it until after we left : ) 
Mark & his Dad switching hats but not T's. Pictured in the epic "Wren" Famliy T's. So classic. 

THE GRAND CANYON - July 2015

Grandpa Wren has hiked the Grand Canyon countless times throughout his life. He was able to give us some great tips as we had planned to stop at the Grand Canyon on our way back to UT. The Grand Canyon literally took my breath away. It was one of the most incredible sights I have ever seen. We spent about 4 hours traveling along the South Rim, in Grand Canyon National Park. Although we didn't have time to completely "hike the Grand Canyon," it was long enough to teach me some powerful lessons. Our day-trip to the Grand Canyon brought to mind the sweet reminder that there is a God. I tend to have strong spiritual confirmations of the reality of God when I'm in nature.

I needed that reminder that day and I feel very blessed to be able to "...See the hand of God in my own life" -Neil L. Andersen

Christmas card potential...anywhere you turn

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK - September, 2015

Our summer wouldn't have been complete without a Miller family reunion! Mark and I capped off an un-real summer with a snowy trip to Canada. My parents, along with each of my siblings and their families made the trip. 

Mark has had a hard time accepting that I am indeed half Canadian, so this trip was a rude / cold awakening for him. Nothing against Canadians, he seems to just always forget and claim that I'm not actually Canadian. If you ever need tips to a 15 hour road trip with your parents/ in-laws, I'm sure we can do that on another post. Mark can be a "guest blogger".HA! Seriously though, we had a great time. I was able to spot a bear to aid in Mark's first ever wild bear sightings and we went on a canoe in the snow at Cameron Lake. The canoe trip caused Mark to say at least 3X, "This is the coolest thing I've ever done in my life" Definitely worth the arctic temperatures. Being an avid photographer, the trip was beyond fantastic for Mark. Talk about non-stop views and unforgettable moments.  
selfies for days

WATERTON LAKES NATIONAL PARK- September 2015

My Mom, by far the most prepared for rain. She was given the name "Paddington Bear" on this trip. 
View from the Prince of Wales Hotel--same place my parents stayed at on their Honeymoon 

These two...
Top Left: Prince of Wales Hotel, Waterton Lakes National Park 
Mark is very talented.  So happy he is getting back into his passion for photography
Cameron Lake views were UN-real that da
my man

RAYMOND, ALBERTA CANADA- September 2015

 The main purpose of our trip was to visit my 94 year old Grandfather and my Canadian cousins (insert shout out). It had been several years since I had seen him and my Canadian kin. It was amazing to see everyone. It was especially moving to see him still so full of life and purpose. One of my favorite moments with him was  while sitting next to him on his deck, as everyone played and talked among themselves. I asked him "Grandpa, did you ever imagine that this is what your family would look like?"--he replied in a very weak voice, "I couldn't have ever dreamed it would look like this." Weak, but strong in love and conviction. It is easy to see how much he misses his wife. As I am so young in starting my own family, it was an overwhelming experience. I tried to imagine the love he has after 94 years for his wife and his family.In that moment I wanted to make sure that I always live my life in a way that would make him proud. It reminded me of something said by Elder Boyd K. Packer "Mature love has a bliss not even imagined by newlyweds." Mature love. 
Life lessons on Grandpa's porch
My Grandpa Miller's garden was just voted "Yard of the Month" in September. Find your passion.
Mark introducing Grandpa to the GoPro. Obviously he had some cash shots after this...
Derald Miller Junior aka "DJ" with his names-sake--Great Grandpa Miller #homage #goodgenes

No comments: