Sunday, September 28, 2014

DIY Seat Cushions--"Is your name JoAnne?"

For the past 2 months, Mark used wadded up t-shirts as seat cushions. I eventually felt bad for his cute bum and gave in. I also accepted the fact that I wanted to be a girl with a real day job who could also pull off a successful DIY project (just learned what that stood for about 6 months ago).
With no further ado we ran into to JoAnne Fabrics (10 minutes before it closed). Mark' asked the cashier if her name was JoAnne. She did not get it. She thought he was dumb for asking, & if it would have been something out of the norm, perhaps I would have thought the same....The uncomfy kitchen chairs had to go, so here's my attempt at a tutorial of sorts...
Here's "The Before"
  
What you need: 
(for 4 chairs) 
- 1' heavy duty foam 
- Stapler (get lots of staples)
- Cardboard to create a template 
- Fabric Adhesive 
- Fabric of your choice (1 yard/approx. 2 standard sized chairs)
- Fabric scissors 

1. Create a cardboard template, (trace the seat portion of your chairs) to use for cutting your foam pieces (make the cardboard template about 1/4' bigger on each side)
                                     
2. Using a fabric adhesive of your choice, spray both the tops of your chairs and the foam pieces. Let each piece sit for about a minute, before sticking them to each other. 
3.  Carefully measure your fabric for each chair. When measuring, measure the height & width of the seat. Measure from the the floor of one side, across the top,& back down to the floor of the other side. Take whatever number you get and add 4 inches to each side. That is your guide for cutting your fabric. *also, be careful of the placement of the fabric if you have a pattern
4. Go crazy with your stapler. Have plenty of staples on hand, and don't be shy. Do be careful around edges. Take the time it's going to require, to avoid noticeable folds in the fabric.  I did this over the course of an entire 49er's game. 
Finished. 
total time: 4 hours.

1 comment:

leigh said...

impressive!! I love the fabric choice. and I'm not surprised at all that Mark asked that lady if her name was Joanne, I can totally see him doing that